The Stars of the Sea: Mother Nature's Resilience


              A few summers ago, I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon at a friend’s seaside summer home. The place is on a little Island, set back from the hustle and strain of civilization where Mother Nature is largely left alone to do her thing. It’s simply one of the most beautiful places on earth.

              I sat high and dry on a rock just below the house watching the splashing, swirling waters below as the bay began to fill with the evening tide. There was another shelf of rocks just below me, easily reached in low tide. Right now, beneath the clear waves, I could see a purple star laid flat across the top of the smooth boulder. I watched him for a while as the water above him grew ever deeper, inch by inch. Then, as my eyes wandered, I realized he had a friend a few inches away. And another. And another…Hey! There were starfish all over this boulder! It’s kind of like that feeling when your eyes begin to get used to the dark and you suddenly realize all that surrounds you that you couldn’t see a second ago. I suddenly realized I stumbled across a colony of the little guys!

              And as the subsequent years passed by, I began to believe that might very well be the last star fish colony I ever laid my eyes on.

              In the last few years, scientists have been reporting startling and distressing declines in the star fish populations in many areas. For my part, I went several seaside vacations in a row without seeing a single, solitary star. Not too long ago, scientists announced that their research had revealed a cause for the depletion: disease. There was some sort of star fish illness running rampant through the ocean world. It was a dreadful thing. It robbed them of their signature “star” shape and turned them into an icky mess. Then they’d simply decease. And they did so in droves.

              So, with broken heart, I began to think that the newest member of my family might actually only know starfish in photos and the wistful tales we’ll tell her of long ago summers spent in the bay at low tide examining the big purple mounds of starry life crammed between the rocks.

              I know the disease is a huge part of it. But I wonder if something else is playing a role? In the last several star-fish devoid summers, I’ve noticed that it seems to be increasingly difficult to find any stretch of seashore that actually resembles a seashore. It seems that it’s become increasingly difficult to find any of those natural rock formations we used to scramble over so gleefully, not to mention all the creatures, plant-life, and other treasured wonders that went with them. Seashores seem to more often be lined with concrete sidewalks, metal railings, and towering skyscrapers. In other places, it’s all smooth sand and snack shacks for tourists. In all places, all manner of water craft plow and roar through the harbors, churning up the water and leaving oil slicks and trash in their wake. I had a bird’s eye view of one such harbor, not long ago, and wondered if whales and seals had ever played down there. If so, they certainly hadn’t been around for a long, long time. And might never be again. Now, if bigger animals like that can’t stand the over-developed seashores anymore, what about smaller guys like starfish and crabs? Is it possible that whatever population is left has made for distant, unpopulated Islands where they can get some peace and quiet? I wouldn’t blame them in the least. It just kind of makes me sad that we won’t be seeing them around anymore.

              And then, this summer, a twinkling of hope! We were walking along one of these ridiculously over-civilized concrete seashores, when I happened to peer over the railing. I was pleased to see that, beneath the slightly murky water, there were still some of the original boulders heaped up along the shore, giving you the vague impression that this might be, in some way, the ocean. Then, there in the murk, a starfish relaxing on the surface of one of the rocks! Yay! There are still some around! I grabbed a picture, of course.

              Then we went into a nearby gift shop to see all the trinkets. We couldn’t have been in there any more that 15 minutes or half an hour. When I came out, I just had to have one more peek at the little guy, so I leaned over the fence again. Holy cow! He was gone! Entirely! I had no idea they could move so fast! I’ve never actually witnessed a starfish sprinting for the high seas. I’d kind of like to see that sometime.

              But was he a loner? The last of his kind? A little further down the concrete path, I found a whole family of the little guys speckling the surface of a big rock.

              There weren’t a tremendous amount. Just a few. But enough to give me hope that maybe, one day, my little baby relative will be able to see them for herself.

Comments