A Peep in the Nest Part 2: Mother Nature's Nursery


                We had some pretty good storms, this week. Some real rumblers. Sometimes accompanied by a healthy helping of rain.

                As much as I appreciated the much needed moisture, I was also worried about the little bird’s nest in the window. I told you, last week, that an American Robin family has built its nest right outside a second story window in a courtyard at my office complex.  They’re so small and their nest is a sweet little structure built only of twigs (and some trash). I wondered how they could possibly be safe in the blowing wind and pounding rain. At the same time, another part of my head reminded me that if the birds were going to fall apart every time there was a storm, they’d have gone extinct a long, long time ago. And, sure enough, they made it through each of the storms without a feather out of place.

                Still no little chicks. I had predicted early next week at the most. We’ll see what happens. Meanwhile, Mama Bird has been faithfully on her nest (with a few little breaks courtesy of Daddy Bird) day after day after day.

                Meanwhile, I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading. It’s interesting how these birds are just everywhere, but you don’t really think that much of them or what they’re doing until you’ve got one staring you in the eye.

                For example, when those storms blew through and I found the nest safe and sound, I wondered if, perhaps, that was one of the reasons they’d choses the location that they had. After all, the tangle of branches on side and the building on the other would work together to provide some pretty ample shelter from the weather. It turns out I guessed right. Mama chooses the location of the nest, and it’s not unusual for her to pick a spot like that. Daddy helps find building materials, but Mama builds the nest herself using her beak, talons and wings.

                Then there comes the eggs. The male bird must nestle up to the female bird to ensure the eggs are fertilized. Then she has a real big meal because she needs the energy.

                Finally, she gets down in the nest and lays the eggs. She lays one a day for four days in a row. Apparently it’s quite difficult to lay those things, so she needs a break each night. Scientists have observed that she usually lays no more than four eggs at a shot. She doesn’t incubate them until all four are successfully laid so they’ll all begin to develop at the same time, and be the same size.

                Now here’s a question I haven’t been able to answer. I’ve looked on multiple web sites and in several books, but it just seems not to be mentioned too much. Here’s the question.

                What happens to the egg shells after to chicks are hatched? I’m just wondering if we can expect to run into shells in the courtyard later. If you happen to know, could you please tell me?

                The nest is too high and at the wrong angle to see inside, but I’m hoping, eventually to see little beaks peeking out. Then I’ll be able to let you know how many little ones there really are!

                I’ll continue to keep you posted!
File:American Robin Eggs in Nest.jpg
Photo by Laslovarga

Comments