Ancient and Glorious: Mother Nature's Moon

                I remember a calm autumn evening, many, many evenings ago, when we all leapt into the car and took off. We were off to my Grandparents’ farm for a visit. It was the kind of trip we all relish, with jokes, laughter and lots of fun.

                We’d had to wait until everybody was done with work and school, so it was already getting dark when we left. It was a clear night, so as the time passed, the sky grew, first, alive with the sparkling splendor of a radiant sunset before it settled into dimness and steadily more velvety blue. Finally, we were under a blanket of perfect black, studded by the twinkling, sparkling stars.

                Far over a hushed barley field, thick with bobbing stocks not yet taken in for the season, I saw the moon rise, large and round and intensely bright. Then, as a little more time passed, the moon abandoned its usual glowing white appearance, and slowly took on vivid and beautiful orange color.

                What was it? What was happening?

                A harvest moon, I was told. It happens sometimes in the autumn around the time the crops are due. There was even some speculation that the color comes from the golden fields of wheat reflecting off the moon’s face, but that immediately seemed unlikely, given the moon’s great distance.

                We travelled on, and as we did, the moon began her trip across the sky - - a trip that may have appeared enhanced as we turned corners and changed angles.

                At last, we approached our destination, the long strips of smooth pavement giving way to rustic gravel roads, lined with forests and farmyards. And as I caught my last glimpses of that beautiful moon before we approached our own farmyard of choice, I remember one breathtaking image in particular.

                The stunningly orange moon hung high over the silhouette of an aging wooden barn staring silently out over a pond, the silvery moonlight dancing playfully on the gently rippling surface.

                Mother Nature sure paints a gorgeous picture, doesn’t she? That image has remained engraved in my memory in all the years that have passed, even though I only saw it for fleeting moment as we drove past. I even tried, once, to draw it, but my poor drawing skills made that a task beyond my means. So now that particular drawing exists only in my mind’s eye.

                But, this past week, lots of other folks have had the rare opportunity to fill their own minds’ eyes with their own breathtaking images. Our earth bore witness to a very rare event indeed. It was a “harvest” moon at a time when the moon is the closest it ever comes to earth, which it only does on an interval of decades. And as if that wasn’t enough to keep your neck craned, it also happened to be a night for a total lunar eclipse. This is when the moon, somehow, slips into the shadow of the Earth and, for a moment, it simply disappears.
                Tragically, it was a bit cloudy around these parts, that night, so I missed the whole show! They say it was spectacular, and I’ve seen some pretty amazing pictures online already. One shows the moon, appearing large enough to fill most of the horizon, rising behind a stone tower in the UK. It’s a brilliant picture, although they say some of it is simply an optical effect. The moon is never – had better never be – that close to the Earth!
                So, I felt a little sad and disappointed that I missed the spectacle. No big, orange moon, no disappearing lunar face, and, to top it off, I’m not even close enough to the sea to see those monumental tides they said the moon was going to cause. Both higher and lower than it’s been in decades.

                But the next day, as always, I got up early, got ready and hurried off to begin the day’s activities. I left early enough that the day that it was still quite dark out and, as the door closed behind me and the cool, morning air touched my face, I looked up at those sparkling stars, once again. The clouds had cleared a bit! How nice!

                I rounded a corner and a bright glint caught the corner of my eye. I looked, instinctively up, and there it was. The moon. Now returned to its usual white color and in no danger of disappearing into a shadow, but still so huge, and clear and bright, every plane vividly outlined and razor clear, not one millimeter withheld from view.

                I smiled. This special moon simply couldn’t bring herself to slip away without stopping for at least a quick hello.

File:Supermoon - Ed Fitzgerald.jpg             




 
  Photo by
edward982

 

Comments