And How Old Are You?

            As if there wasn’t enough impressive things about the whales! Their size is breath-taking, their songs are glorious and the distance they migrate sometimes blows the mind! Now there’s something new to leave you gaping. In all the times you’ve seen images of whales leaping out of the water or gliding along peacefully, have you ever thought to wonder - - exactly how old they were?
            Not long ago I picked up a really nice little book on whales and other marine mammals at a book sale. As I flipped through the pages at home I nearly fell right off of my sofa. The longevity of the whales can be astounding!
            Scientists estimate that some species like the Blue and the Fin whale may live to be a century old or more. But, easily, the most astounding record was that of the Bowhead Whale – which experts now say may be able to live to be over 200 years old!
            Naturally, after I picked myself up off the floor, it occurred to me to wonder how anyone can possibly know that. It turns out that this conclusion has been drawn from bits of whale harpoon tips found embedded deep in some animals flesh - - tips of harpoons of a variety not used for some 200 years! Check it out by Googling Bowhead Whales.
             

Comments